What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WithSwordAndGun, Jul 20, 2015.

1. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member

How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie published in 1936 and every bit as relevant in 2019. Worth a read if you deal with a lot of stubborn people. Some of the advice I've learned over the years, but you can save yourself 20 years and a lot of stress reading this.

jahonius88 likes this.
  2. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

Man, I read this like, when I was 21!!

Back when I was obsessed with the idea that I’d be a successful CEO one day.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Marquis likes this.
  3. The_Marquis

Ha!

I just want to be less of a C yoU Next Tuesday, so I'm trying some self improvement reading. Seemed like a pretty timeless entry.

It also flies in the face of current methods of communication, and explains why everybody is the social equivalent of a prolapsed anus these days. Could you imagine somebody typing an angry Tweet, setting it aside for two days, reading it again and opting against posting it? :p

4. mark8745120

mark8745120 New Member

5. The_Marquis

Lolita - had no idea what to expect going into this one. I was only superficially aware of it's reputation.

Pretty nutty. Apparently this is a common trait of Nabakov's writing.

Started Atlas Shrugged this morning. Pretty stiff so far...

6. The_Marquis

Atlas Shrugged was rigid all the way through.

Some interesting ideas and a few cool characters, but it seemed to be written in service of Rand's objectivism and not in service of characters. The objectivists are all unique with a tendency toward bloviating speeches, and everybody else... is the definition of the present day NPC meme.

Oof!

7. Brizas99

Brizas99 New Member

I'm very interested in gaming reviews, and games that are based on novels.

I'm trying to put some of my works out there as well, my latest is the presentation on the newest ID Software's and Avalanche's RAGE 2.

Rather than focusing on the whole game, I simply wrote about one particular aspect which to me makes the game's FPS aspect as good as it can digitally get. just

RAGE 2 presents one of the most delicate gunplay systems out there and by playing, you'll get to wield some really rad firearms .

Anyway, I think it should be quite entertaining for those players that are just about to get into the RAGE 2 world, so if you have a few spare minutes, I'd love you to read it <3

Here's the link - RAGE 2 weapons for practicality, carnage, mayhem, and abuse!

8. iamhannah

iamhannah Moderator Staff Member

Thrawn: Alliances - Audiobook

The Rise of Kyoshi

Building the Yellow Wall: The Incredible Rise and Cult Appeal of Borussia Dortmund

9. Dhalamar

Dhalamar Active Member

I'll admit it's cheating a little bit... but since my job is 150ish miles a shift and 90% of it is driving? Yeah.

I'm making my way through the audio book for Forrest Gump.

The MOVIE is within my favorite top 3 movies of all time, and I had NO IDEA said movie was an adaption of a book from 1986 until about a year ago.

10. The_Marquis

Working through Elric of Melniboné. Such a strange world, but I'm loving it. I'd love to see this made into a series for film - The Projection Booth podcast mentioned that Hellboy 2: The Golden Army's Prince Nuada is pretty much a total rip-off of Elric; and well - I'll take it until they can make an Elric film or television series.

Speaking of which, the recent European Elric comic series has been excellent as well.

11. The_Marquis

Dracula. . .

Unfortunately pretty long and boring. While I appreciate the sprawling approach to crafting the story, and can recognize this influence on say - Alan Moore's Watchmen writing - with Stoker it's meandering. There are certain passages where you're just getting beat over the head with a character, say Van Helsing, being intentionally obtuse. Okay. I get it. Move on. No wait! Van Helsing has more terrible analogies to make, because Stoker is writing all them words.

Dracula reads like the sort of story for the person who wants to watch a season of 24 where they film Jack Bauer getting breakfast, lunch, and dinner - in addition to every bathroom break. Which, given 24 might be an improvement. Certainly would beat Kim being stuck on a merry-go-round for 11 episodes.

Master of timely references!