What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WithSwordAndGun, Jul 20, 2015.

1. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member

Just finished Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, vol. One

Incredibly well read by Wayne June.

The two stories contained in it are The Dunwich Horror and The Call of Cthulhu.

The hype is real. Lovecraft is awesome. Really enjoyed listening to these, and the horror goes beyond personal, to existential. Particularly the Dunwich Horror. The Call of Cthulhu is no slouch either, with it's terrible dark and ancient gods laying in wait to return to grind mankind underfoot.

Worth a read, and definitely worth a listen with how well read it was.

2. The_Marquis

Continuing along the lines of stories that influenced Iron Maiden songs, listened to Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card.

The song is definitely better than the book. :p

Well, mainly you need to go into it knowing it's the first chapter in a longer series. I've only read Ender's Game, so I'm not all that familiar with Card's other fiction; but this is nowhere near as compelling as Ender's Game was. Seventh Son was a bit dry, awkward, and felt like a stream of consciousness / fever dream.

I'd say it's a pass overall.

The audio book was read by Nana Visitor, who I forgot all about in relation to Star Trek; but she does a great job reading it. Clocking in at just over five hours.

3. The_Marquis

Listened to American Gods.

Enjoyable, but not awesome. I suspect Neil Gaiman's comic fans overhype anything he's done, or at least - over sell it, so I'd say walk in with moderate expectations, and you won't be disappointed.

4. Gruel

Gruel Member

I've been gradually reading Pat Contri's Ultimate NES Guide Book. Him and a few other writers team up to review every single NES game that hit America. I have been reading two reviews a day before bed for awhile now and am now in the Ps. Holy crap were there countless NES games I have never heard of before. Wound up tracking a couple down because of its reviews like a NBA Jam style game called Roundball and Pinball Quest!

Carl_S likes this.
  5. The_Marquis

Listened to The Black Count, the biography of Alexander Dumas's father Alex Dumas.

It's a pretty interesting listen for history, and covers a lot of my favorite aspects of history. Namely horrifying acts of cruelty and corruption. :p

In all seriousness though, it's difficult in the year 2017 to wrap my mind around the world, society, and policies of 200 years ago. Namely, starting a family with a slave, then selling said slave off when you're off to travel, and then. . . selling your "favorite" son from that slave off.

Just bonkers.

Worth the read.

6. The_Marquis

Just finished Against Empathy a Case for Rational Compassion.

[​IMG]

A very good read/listen if you ever find yourself surrounded by humans who can't separate feelings from fact. It's not pleasant, but not all data is pleasant, and just because it causes emotional distress doesn't mean it ought to be kicked to the curb.

And as cold as it sounds, it's less cold than some of the other conversations I've listened to from contemporary philosophers who have me pondering the nature of what I eat daily.

7. Dhalamar

Dhalamar Active Member

For me it's "reading"...

I'm hitting up the novels, not audio books or abridged anything.

But, since I drive about for 3-5 hours a morning, this is kinda the best time. So I use my Kindle Keyboard's "text to speech" to have it read me the novels in it's weird Stephen Hawkings kind of voice. :)

But... over the last few months I've gone through the following Stephen King books (in the order of most recent on down):

Pet Sematary
    Doctor Sleep
    The Shining
    Thinner
    Gerald's Game
    Cujo
    Salem's Lot
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    The Tommyknockers
    Carrie
    The Dark Half
    It

And I'm currently working my way through Needful Things.

8. The_Marquis

Yeah, when I spent more time on the bus I got a ton of actual reading done. Plus since this city is crap, books are hoodlum repellents on public transportation.

Finished It today. Fun, but tedious. I'm guessing this was fueled by cocaine. At least they're doing some neat film adaptations of it. Excising the fluff, and hilarious repetition in character dialogue.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. The_Marquis

In October two friends convinced me to read Frankenstein.

Wow!

Mary Shelley knocked it out of the damned park. Such a wonderful book. I really don't think any cinematic adaptation managed to adapt it to film adequately. Each one includes aspects of the novel, but none really delves into the monster half of the story. The Kenneth Branagh adaptation is the closest I can think of.

There are some logical conundrums in it, but it doesn't tax suspension of disbelief to the point of breaking, and I was thoroughly engaged by the characters so I was willing to cut it slack.

After I revisited my all time favorite Beowulf. This epic poem clicked with my bored to tears high school brain two decades ago, and the wildfire it ignited in my imagination still burns.

Up next, Paradise Lost and Gilgamesh.

10. Hawk75

Hawk75 New Member

Currently reading Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World.

The_Marquis likes this.
  11. Brizas99

Brizas99 New Member

The Alchemist

12. Gruel

Gruel Member

I have been plugging away through the second trilogy of Mass Effect books these last few months. I loved the first four Mass Effect books that took place before and inbetween the first trilogy of games. This new set of three books takes place before and concurrently along Andromeda. Really digging them so far and almost wrapped up with the second book of the Andromeda trilogy, and I plan on diving into the game right after finishing the Andromeda books.

JHall03 likes this.
  13. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

slowly working my way through The Infernal City. It's one of two Elder Scrolls novels.

14. The_Marquis

Cool. I'll add this to the list.

Paradise Lost was a mixed bag. Granted, for an epic poem penned 400 years ago - it's incredibly bad ass through the first half.

Then the second half is a re-telling of the familiar Original Sin story; but DAMN! That first half is like The Bible + D&D Monstrous Manual + Your Favorite Metal Album on repeat! I'd say it's worth a read for that alone. Satan rallying an army of legendary / mythological / religious villains to assail Heaven is so full of blustery language, and bad ass fight scenes. Yeah, sort of loved it.

Currently reading Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 it's a fascinating read; and super depressing. Definitely not one to read if you are looking for a shred of optimism for the future. :p

15. Warnerbodia

Warnerbodia New Member

Im mostly reading beer books lately. I went through Brown Ale and Bock of the Classic Beer Style series in the last couple of weeks and Im just about to crack open Malt. Having said that, what with the Tour de France underway, I also read Slaying the Badger.

16. iamhannah

iamhannah Moderator Staff Member

Currently reading Thrawn. I just finished Catalyst (Star Wars): A Rogue One Novel, which took me a bit to get into but when I did I did enjoy it.

17. The_Marquis

Amazon had the Kindle version of Marvel Comics the Untold Story for $1.99.

So far, there's no real new information two chapters in - if you're familiar with the history of the American funnybook racket.

However, if you haven't read up on your damned history - this will open your eyes. Nepotism, networking, and hard work are all elements you'll discover.

One highlight so far is how Stan Lee, the publisher's nephew, was a shit to the artists within the pages of the comics.

So yeah, for less than the price of an actual comic book these days - you can get yourself a primer on how shady the comic industry was, and still is.

Meanwhile, I'm also reading the comic - I Moved to Los Angeles to Work in Animation by Natalie Nourigat which stands in stark contrast to the treachery of the funnybook industry, where animators have union representation, fair wages, and can afford a comfortable quality of life without the perils of being a freelancer. It's a nice behind the scenes look at working in animation, and demonstrates why so many comic book artists abandon the hell of comic creation to work in film, animation, and video games. Although video games seem to be similarly shady to comics - e.g. the company behind Kill Instinct publishing an art book and never once crediting concept artist Eric Canete.

18. WithSwordAndGun

WithSwordAndGun Never Grammatically Correct Staff Member

I normally read fantasy and sci-if but Everybody Lies was really fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The_Marquis

Marvel Comics the Untold Story was a very solid read. As mentioned, the book covers ground familiar to readers of Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book, and other American comic industry history tomes (sorry, too lazy to walk over to the bookshelf for titles). Once you get past the first six chapters covering familiar ground, you arrive in the 70's through the early late 2000's, covering Marvel's mistreatment of generations of creators (artists and writers alike), mismanagement, and skullduggery.

Every comic book history book makes it harder, and harder to enjoy this hobby. The market leaders were built on exploitation, bad deals, and other damnable practices.

It's not a pleasant read if you're a rampaging fan, but it's a necessary read if you at all respect the medium of comics - even if the American representation of the medium is deserving of so very little.

20. WithSwordAndGun

WithSwordAndGun Never Grammatically Correct Staff Member

[​IMG]

Interesting book for history buffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk