What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by jahonius88, Feb 28, 2016.

1. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Played some Street Fighter 5 last weekend.

23GB "patch"?

Something tells me the rampaging bungholes at Capcom just reissues the whole game package with each "update" and forced you to download the damned thing all over again.

In better news, I picked up Garou Mark of the Wolves while it was on sale on PSN and am pleased to report it works incredibly well online. Even during an imminent network outage on my end which rendered Samurai Shodown (2019) unplayable. Damn that game is gorgeous. I miss the sprite days. I miss the sprite days so bad! It hurts.

[​IMG]

Torgo likes this.
  2. Brizas99

Brizas99 New Member

These days I caught up with Grid 2, and it pretty much occupied my time during the weekend. Very nice getaway for a chill end of the week

3. Brizas99

Brizas99 New Member

Oh, and have you tried different Fortnite skins? I know perhaps majority don't play it as much but with skins you get a completely different experience. So, I highly recommend trying it without prejudice and might get the hook of it.

4. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

After seeing that the download was around 100 gig and Gamestop had the disc for $5 I went ahead and grabbed the disc too. Not sure when I'll even look at this though but they are sure making it cheap enough to play. :)

John B. aka Johni3w6 likes this.
  5. John B. aka Johni3w6

John B. aka Johni3w6 Active Member

I was a bit taken back by the length of the dl. Luckily I was able to put my external HD to use to store the game.

Have been playing it for over a week and I'm almost at level 30. This game will test your patience at times especially in single player, but overall I'm still enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Carl_S likes this.
  6. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

The Division I tested my patience, and my patience lost that battle. That's the reason I haven't bothered picking up part II for only $3. I'll probably never really play it.

7. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

I get it, but I will say that Part 2 is MUCH better in terms of its difficulty curve etc.

JHall03 likes this.
  8. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

Division 1:

Hmmm where do I go ... what do I do ... what's in here ... ah a mission ... vendors ... 3 hours later ... not sure if I have the right gear or not ... wait, back to that mission ... go kill some guys ... OK ... hey, there they are ... empty machine gun clip into guy ... reload ... empty another clip into guy ... I'm dead ... WTF ???

:)

9. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Played some SF5 last night, then finished the evening with some Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2. Such a gorgeous game after all these years. I can see how ASW has continually refined the game engine in later games like Dragon Ball Fighterz and GranBlue Fantasy Versus, but this one still holds up due to the sheer amount of attention to detail and love in every aspect of the visual presentation and character animation. From Leo's introduction with his entourage of heavily armored soldiers, to his win pose when one of these massive soldiers appears and provides a seat for him to recline in after his victory. It's the sort of visual excess that is incredibly rare in modern fighting games, and harkens back to the glory days of the 90's when Capcom would just flex it's sprite animation prowess in games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 and the Street Fighter 3 series. Beauty for the sake of beauty.

Also snagged the Samurai Shodown season 2 pass which is incredibly priced at just $15 after tax. I enjoy the game, and it's nice to see SNK being very generous with their pricing. Now I hope Gen-an returns this season!

Torgo likes this.
  10. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

I played Final Fight and some Street Fighters (Arcade versions) :)

The_Marquis and Carl_S like this.
  11. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

I was just lamenting how Capcom and Nintendo butchered Final Fight for the SNES release and how Sega stole their shine with Streets of Rage.

I really wish I felt more love for the new Streets of Rage; but it's been decades since I've cared and the visuals look like flash animated garbage. The definition of soulless, whereas River City Girls is the definition of soul.

12. teran36

teran36 Active Member

Greedfall
    never heard much about it, But it's an RPG with sidequest and such, my kinda fun.
    Not bad so far, not much combat yet, seems to be alot of crooked politics and such.

13. teran36

teran36 Active Member

Greedfall
    never heard much about it, But it's an RPG with sidequest and such, my kinda fun.
    Not bad so far, not much combat yet, seems to be alot of crooked politics and such.

14. G_Dubble

G_Dubble New Member

Currently playing CoD WWII and CoD MW.

15. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Samurai Shodown
    Dragonball FighterZ
    Street Fighter 5
    Tekken 7

I can't believe it's been two full years since I played DBFZ last. The game is a lot of fun with friends, but the online system has a pretty high learning curve in terms of meeting up with friends for matches. Unless there are easier options buried in the menu system. Still, it's fun to play casually and gorgeous.

16. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

My gamer ADD has been really bad lately

Elder Scrolls Online (as usual)
    Elite Dangerous - I'm almost able to fly in our solar system, SOL.
    No Man's Sky

Dabbling with/haven't abandoned:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Final Fantasy XV
    Mass Effect: Adromeda

Probably won't finish/wasted my money:
    Doom Eternal

17. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Played GranBlue Fantasy Versus for the first time last night.

Designed with the intention of being "Baby's first fighter", superficially it's well done if you are completely uninitiated in the genre. You must play a few CPU matches, then two random online matches to get tested for online play. If you're new to the genre, this will probably be a nice learning period. However if you're an old hack like myself - it's an impediment to getting down to the business of playing the game. Plus, I despise playing random people online - much less when I've had less than 30 minutes with the game. However, if you're new to the genre - you will probably play the game, then venture online.

Once online, it's a bit less clunky than Dragonball FighterZ in terms of executing a lobby to play with friends. DBFZ has a hub world you sign into, with multiple lobbies that all serve 64 players. So you need to coordinate with friends MMO style to set up, because - and this is something that needs to be pushed back against - you cannot simply invite friends from your friends list to come play your game. You have to meet in the lobby, add your friend to an in-game friends list, then you're able to do the things we did relatively effortlessly on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

GranBlue Fantasy Versus is similar sans the online hub world. You can create a game lobby, but you cannot invite your friend from your PSN friends list. My buddy and I were unable to find a means of simply inviting a friend from your friend's list, and I had to resort to going over to my computer to read instructions on how to play a damned game with my friend.

Set up lobby. Set password. Friend must find lobby from list and join. Then you can add your friend to your in-game friends list.

This isn't an indictment of these games. It's an indictment of the state of the genre. Capcom does this with Street Fighter 5 requiring you to curate a Capcom Fighter Network ID, rather than the game matchmaking deferring to the player's friend list. Dragonball FighterZ and GranBlue Fantasy are doing this as well. I can't recall how Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 functioned online, but I don't recall there being a need for a separate players list.

As a fan of the genre and consumer, this is a bad practice. I would like to see developers knock it the hell off. It is unwelcome, cumbersome, and should not exist when you merely want to spend an evening talking with friends and exchanging fisticuffs.

Having said all that, the game itself is pretty fun and the art direction of Arc System Works is on display with the striking fantasy anime visuals built off of the iconic highly customized Guilty Gear Xrd Unreal engine. Arc System Works is the only company currently putting as much effort into the art direction and world building of their games to make them feel alive and captivating. I want to keep playing simply because I enjoy looking at the games, and want to soak in all of the detail. Gorgeous visuals, stage progression, all sorts of crazy attention to detail. It's similar to the peak visual design / art direction of late 90's Capcom when they had a murderer's row of fantastic visual artists and spriters creating insanely gorgeous games like Street Fighter Alpha 3, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and the Street Fighter 3 series.

In terms of characters, I'm pretty cool on the very vanilla fantasy hero cast. There are a lot of very vanilla anime guys and gals who will probably appeal to very vanilla people. If you like Ryu, Ken, and Akuma - the shoto rainbow, you'll probably dig the roster. I leaned toward Charlotta, Ladiva, and Lowain. Goofy and absurd characters. Some of Charlotta's moves remind me of Gen-An Shiranui who I hold out hope makes it into Samurai Shodown as DLC.

I still need to sort out the game mechanics, but thus far it appears to be that you can rely on the special button and cardinal direction inputs to perform special moves which each have a cool down period before executing again; or you can use the conventional familiar fighting game inputs and related attack button to perform special moves. I haven't sorted out which buttons and inputs are truly unique; but currently I'm using five buttons and the special button until I sort things out. The special button thus far is optional if you use traditional inputs.

You also have the option to use a block button if you would rather not hold back to block. Again, I need to spend more time with the game as I've seen inputs that require the block button used with other inputs to perform actions; but I'm assuming these are just macros.

Overall it's a worthwhile fighting game, and I presume would have more appeal if you're familiar with the mobile game or anime. I'm just here to have fun fighting.

The franchise has a character, race, class for nearly every fandom (it's also an out of control waifu engine) - so I'm hoping some of the more ridiculous characters end up as DLC characters; because I honestly want to play as an alcoholic nun or Luchador Gran or Djeeta.. An even more distant hope is there have been crossover characters from other franchises in the main Granblue game - so could this open the door for Arc System Works to work with Capcom again, indirectly, and insert Chun-Li or Ryu as DLC characters?!

18. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Oh look, it's 4AM and I've been up drinking and playing fighting games.

That said - it was a lot of fun.

Upon reflection, my buddy asked why I use Gill and aside from my appreciating the sheer ridiculousness of his character design since SF3 - he's relatively easy to use. I almost feel bad playing him because it's a lot of zoning play, but he's not an overly complex character and being officially too old for this sh*t, that works for me.

Good matches. Many thanks to Savorycade, 9-volt, and his brother-in-law for playing. Really got this old man's blood pumping.

Then we switched to Samurai Shodown which is just a comfy pair of old shoes. That's not a knock. It is in my estimation one of the most accessible and enjoyable fighting games made in the past decade. Many fighting games have tried to design an accessible, and easy to pick up product, but Samurai Shodown is the only game which has truly retained that early 90's fighting game feeling. You don't need to sacrifice time upon the altar of "gitgud". You just need to learn your character and master their moveset and matchups.

As it stands, drunk at 4AM, if I had to rank the existing catalogue of fighting games - Samurai Shodown, Dragonball FighterZ, and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection would be my top three of the generation. Honorable mention to Garou Mark of the Wolves that is magnificently improved with the online play patch.

I feel like we're living through the second dark age of fighting games. Like the early 2000's, where quality games were still being made; but we existed in that terrible transition period where the "old games" fell out of favor, and everybody was looking for another god awful Goldeneye; because their brains were too smooth to be permitted into the hallowed halls of the glorious PC master race. :p

I will never not believe console based FPS games sans mouse support were a mistake, and I will Power Geyser anybody that steps up to bat over it.

Natus ad proelium! :cool:

19. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

More DBFZ, SamSho, and SF5 last night.

20. Rex Mcarthur

Rex Mcarthur New Member

Hey, its Rex. I am a gamer and I play PC as well as Console games. Right now I am playing CS: Go, Apex Legends, COD Warzone, Valorant, DOOM Eternal, PUBG, Fortnite. For sharing my gaming experience, I started my blog that revolves around gaming monitors for ps4 pro, Xbox, or PC. If you need any gaming peripherals, I would love to help you out.