Samurai Shodown - Embrace death and no one can stop you!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by The_Marquis, Mar 25, 2019.

1. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member

So very hyped for this come back after a rough last generation.

SNK has always been the fighting game under dog, creating absolutely fantastic fighting games, and they've definitely had a rough decade and a half prior to this. So I'm happy to see they seem to be on the road to recovery. This is not to under sell King of Fighters 14, which was also fantastic - despite abandoning the gorgeous sprite work of past entries.

44 minutes of game play!

The cast is an interesting mix of original series characters and characters from later in the franchise (Shiki). I'm hoping other favorites are in the works, or DLC.

Unless I'm forgetting / overlooking something, this is probably my most anticipated game this year.

2. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

It looks promising, and it was a surprise that it was announced for EVO even though it's not even out yet.

3. The_Marquis

Could be Chinese backed SNK payola to Mr. Wizard, but if the game is as great as the original 2D franchise was - the more eyeballs on it the better. :p

4. The_Marquis

TORGO-KUN! SIX SAMSHO COLLECTION ANNOUNCED!!!

New SamSho 2019 stuff:

Darli Dagger looks AWESOME!

16 character base roster. DLC characters added after the fact.

5. Torgo

Indeed. I like the series but I'm terrible at them. I think that I own 2 or 3 on the Neo Geo, including a US copy of 6 that still has the blood in it (before they recalled the carts and changed the blood color).

6. The_Marquis

I honestly don't know how good I was at the series. I was okay at Samsho1, and local arcades totally missed SamSho2 - which according to my other friends at the time, was the more popular entry. I was pretty strong with my boy Ukyo.

I'm amazed at how well the three new characters integrate into the Samurai Shodown world, as it were. Unlike Street Fighter, and other franchises, which introduce new character which seem to be incongruous to the series.

In all my years of loving fighting games, and a decade after SF4 re-ignited the passion of my rose tinted goggle normie chum generation, this here may be the first fighting game that I purchase the Limited Edition and Season Pass for. I straight up don't give a damn. Everything appears to be firing on all cylinders. The season pass includes Samurai Shodown 64 skins, which was a game I have fond memories of playing back in the arcade, and damn it - the presentation was cool as hell - with ukiyo-e style ink illustrations when you pulled off a super move.

No excuse. This is pure rooting for the under dog, in addition to the under dog delivering an amazing looking product. I'm all in on this game. Maybe I'm just too desperate to be 18 years old again, and thumbing my nose at imbeciles claiming Time Killers looked better back in the local arcade.

I'm trying to reconcile internally why I rallied so strongly against Street Fighter 4, but embrace Samurai Shodown 2019 - despite SamSho 2019 having many similarities to SF4 visually, and I suspect it's thus - for the better part of a decade, Capcom artists were creating artworks that were inconsistent with the path of Street Fighter visual development. Similarly, SNK produced artwork so far divorced from Samurai Shodown, that I realistically cannot expect SNK to deliver a game that emulates the Ukiyo-e art style of the SamSho production art. However, the game itself, looks consistent with the proportions and sprites of the old games.

So, while Street Fighter 2, to Street Fighter Alpha series, to Street Fighter 3 all demonstrated a visual style that wasn't represented in SF4; Samurai Shodown 2019 carries that visual style of Samurai Shodown 1993.

I really hope this game is amazing. I haven't been this excited since the Guilty Gear Xrd trailer blew my damned mind!

7. Torgo

It looks great, but to me, the character style looks a bit too much like Street Fighter 4 & 5, but that's a minor quibble.

8. The_Marquis

I agree, it causes me no small amount of discomfort accepting this.

Again, I defer back to the games themselves and the concept art. Street Fighter as the sprite based series progressed embraced a more colorful and anime aesthetic. Colors went from being used to depict volume and shading in a more conventional sense, to hard cut, cel animation style coloring. The progress is in the sprites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then you jump to this low effort visual style on the modern series entries.

I get that SF4 banked heavily on SF2 nostalgia, so they didn't push to come up with a unique visual style, and most normies skipped the Street Fighter EX series - so the gimmick of Street Fighter using polygons was "new" to them.

And why I maintain, Street Fighter 4 was the inadvertent continuation of the polygon based Street Fighter EX series - not the main franchise. :p

But I digress - Samurai Shodown could possibly strive toward an amazing visual style that is representative of the concept / production art...

[​IMG]

Instead, SNK seems to have focused on attempting to replicate the visual style of the earlier games with their new 3D entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I played and enjoyed Samurai Shodown 64 in the arcade, Samurai Shodown Sen was a mistake on par with modern Street Fighter games.

9. The_Marquis

Torgo likes this.
  10. Torgo

I haven't been playing fighting games much, but I may pick this up.

11. The_Marquis

Me neither. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I buy them to support the genre.

I've been mulling over trying to establish an online community, but it's a tough proposition with adult lives, jobs, children, time zones, etc. I really miss the good old arcade community, and that's what was missing with the '09 plague caused by that nostalgia fighter. There was no friendly community. It was all a bunch of half-assed wanna-be EVO entrants, and not a lot of information sharing and skill building. :confused:

12. Torgo

Isn't that what Shoryuken.com is for?

13. The_Marquis

Capcom ball washers.

It's like 400 lanes of bowling over there.

It's unfortunate, but Shoryuken is far less level headed and friendly than alt.games.sf2 used to be; but those were the glory days before Mehvel came along and fostered malignancy in the Capcom fighting game community.

Madman's Cafe is still around, I might need to go try them out.

14. The_Marquis

Paid. In. Full.

IZA, JINJOU NI! o_O

15. The_Marquis

The sweet embrace of death.

Samurai Shodown feels every bit like a Samurai Shodown game. Much like King of Fighters 14 felt like KoF despite it's art direction being missing in action.

Walmart currently has the game for $49.94!

Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in a long while. I also appreciate that SNK stood their ground, in a world where fighting games are becoming increasingly complex and faster paced - Samurai Shodown is a deliberately paced fighting game. No flashy high number combos. Just hard hitting normals, some special moves per character, and some (new to me) techniques to learn like a parry like guard technique and sword catch. SWORD CATCH! The badass of bad ass samurai moves from the Koike/Kojima school of samurai action.

coalponfire likes this.
  16. Torgo

This is a lot of fun, and it good to see that my fear about it looking like SF V were completely misplaced.