PS5 Reveal Event-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by jpayant70, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jpayant70

jpayant70 Moderator Staff Member

So, what did everybody think about the event yesterday?

For me, other than the console reveal, Ratchet & Clank stole the show. Obviously, the Horizon sequel was phenomenal too. I also really enjoyed the diversity of games shown. I think the dud of the show was Godfall. It looks dull, and the graphics look less than next gen.

Anyhow, you can check out some news on the site.

SIE published game listed, with trailers here: http://www.psnation.com/2020/06/11/sie-published-games-dominate-ps5-reveal-event/

A look at the console here: http://www.psnation.com/2020/06/11/playstation-5-console-finally-revealed/

Various other games will be posted throughout the day.

Torgo and JHall03 like this.
  2. tomhlord

tomhlord Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, diversity.

While I'm sure they'll be camps on the internet wanting more of certain game types, most bases were covered here. A mere hint of sport, an FPS, family-friendly platformers, massive open-worlds, dungeons, racing - the works, and from teams around the world.

It's what makes PlayStation so alluring to me. The variety of games types from a global resource pot made for a global audience.

Bravo for Sony and the dev teams for keeping the majority of the games and the console design under wraps. Really, an amazing feat.

Personally, I'm most excited for GT7. Oh, that lighting. There were many big hitters, but also there were so many highlights it's easy to forget BluePoint doing a Demon's Souls remake, Housemarque going big and bold with Returnal, a new Sackboy platformer (pleasantly surprised) and Kena: Bridge of Spirits swept me away.

Now wasn't the time to reveal a price, so not sure why some people are annoyed by this.

There's still plenty more to explore too, like the OS, rear of the device and PSVR (hopefully).

Finally, I like the overall emphasis on this being a next-step, a new level. Thought that was clever.

3. tomhlord

tomhlord Member

Oh, one more thing. Spider-Man is launch window, but is there anything else? GT7, Ratchet & Clank and Horizon 2 looked great, but are they 2021?

4. Jacob M. Lundeen

Jacob M. Lundeen Active Member

January would still be considered launch window depending on when the PS5 officially launches, which is when I believe Horizon 2 is supposed to release.

tomhlord likes this.
  5. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I think There maybe could have been one more big surprise as far as games are concerned. I did like how they started the presentation with an example of an existing game that is getting an enhanced version for PS5 Because I’m looking forward to seeing more of that before I decide to buy day one. I’m really interested in seeing how much the PS5 can boost the performance of current gen games with increased draw distances and higher frames per second, etc.

Oh, and a career mode for GT7 was possibly the highlight of the show for me! I hope GT goes back to its roots with GT7.

I also like the design of the console and the controller. Can’t wait to see what Sony tells us next.

6. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

The demolition derby game looked intriguing. Visually it reminds me a lot of the Wachowski's Speed Racer movie, which has been untapped potential for gaming for two console generations. I'm not counting the Wii licensed game as it just couldn't match the visual splendor of the movie.

Other than that - oh look, a bunch of ports.

Hey, how about you b-holes port Warhawk already?! :mad:

Torgo likes this.
  7. tomhlord

tomhlord Member

I hope Horizon 2 is close to the launch day, that would be epic otherwise there's Spider-Man, free Astro's Playroom, Godfall and Deathloop for the launch, and I feel it maybe needs a little something extra too.

8. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

I hope Sony at some point, across the board gets in line with Steam in terms of their digital store front and being able to give gifts to friends.

I had to walk my boomer friend through what a PSN redemption code was in order to purchase Fighting Layer EX yesterday instead of just sending him the game. I haven't got time to explain old technology to potatoes. Let us gift games to people on our friends lists Sony jabronis!

9. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

Get younger friends

The_Marquis likes this.
  10. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last time I tried that they were a bunch of mouth breathing '09ers that wanted to play Meme Fighter 4, then the same smooth brains went on to play Memenight. Youngsters have trash taste in games and if I find them on my lawn I'll "chase them off" like John Rambo. :mad:

[​IMG]

I just need a friends with higher INT stats.

Having said that, Playstation Store still needs the option to gift games directly for convenience. ;)

JHall03 and Torgo like this.
  11. Mobbins

Mobbins New Member

A lot don't like the design but I quite like it. I can't wait for its official release.

12. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

It does look a bit like a wifi router, but ignoring the aesthetics the only really odious aspect to me is the lack of USB ports on it.

While the wavy gravy aesthetic isn't my cup of tea, it beats the lets fabricate everything in flat black, and hide all buttons and ports in recessed areas like the PS4; which IMHO is something of a design abortion. The first time I encountered one in my friend's dimly lit basement I couldn't locate ANY controls on the damned thing, and when I got around to purchasing mine I had no shame in placing foil stickers below all the controls.

Yes. I'm getting old, but there's a point at which you cross a line in your design subtlety. Overall I suspect this is a failure of technology being designed unchecked in terms of hardware and GUI which are becoming increasing worse as nerds and graphic designers run amuck unchecked. This is where a tyrant like Steve Jobs came in, when he wasn't denying the parentage of his children or practicing some wackadoo diet - he had a tendency to ensure devices were clearly operable.

I suspect we're about to crest the hill of this problem, and the fallout will dictate our future. To quote Guilty Gear. . .

Heaven, or Hell - let's rock!

My apologies, that's a lot of word vomit basically saying the PS5 looks goofy, but mildly better than the PS4. Heh - pass the bottle.

13. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

USB ports are on the back, with a USB-C on the front

The_Marquis likes this.
  14. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Moderator

Sony Computer Entertainment theme song: