No MVP's at E3 this year?

Discussion in 'E3 2015' started by Torgo, May 11, 2015.

1. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

I've seen mentions that Sony hasn't invited any PlayStation MVP's to E3 this year. Now, I don't know this for sure, and no one has officially revealed that this is the case, but I wouldn't doubt that this is true. If you heard any of our podcasts from E3 last year, you'll know that at least a couple of us were more than a bit irritated with how many of them acted while they were there, and it seems that the powers that be may have noticed that as well.

A lot of the "MVP's" like to tell everyone that they are, in forums signatures, Twitter bios, Facebook and anywhere else, but what they don't seem to grasp is that they're expected to represent that which they reportedly love, namely PlayStation. Unfortunately, many of the MVP's in attendance at E3 2014 used the opportunity to act like children and annoy everyone around them, hardly the example that Sony had intended. Many even had an aggressive game to see who could get the most swag, no matter what it was or what they had to do to get it, that includes digging through the trash.

As I said, I see a lot of MVP's try to make sure that everyone knows they have that moniker, but it seems that a lot of those folks don't understand that there's an expectation of at least some sort of responsibility associated with membership. I would hope this would teach some people a lesson, but seeing how many of them were acting last year, I highly doubt that will be the case, which is unfortunate.

2. brambler

brambler Well-Known Member

How does one become an mvp anyway? If I recall, didn't they have to write an essay about why they were deserving to be one? It seemed pretty silly to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CNPalmer

CNPalmer Moderator Staff Member

4. Torgo

Yeah, you just apply. They always act like it's some special ordeal, but it's just not a title at the end of the day

5. playstationmvp

playstationmvp New Member

Sorry I had to register an account to make a comment on some of your statements.

First off, your podcast or thoughts likely had no bearing on Sony's decisions this year one way or another- I dont' mean to come off sounding like a jerk, and I know that isn't EXACTLY what was said, but it was implied.. I won't comment on the state of invitations- that being said, the MVP program is a voluntary program to help support a brand you particularly enjoy whether it be feedback, community building, or helping games get exposure. It's not fair to lump all MVPs into a group as a hivemind, period. I was at E3 and I personally didn't see any of this myself, however just because a group of people got into the program for freebies, doesn't mean that's what everyone is about.

Also to say "they always act"... again hivemind thinking. I personally don't spread the moniker around every single place or parade it around, but I make sure to mention it in a profile if you read into me. The main reason we're encouraged to do this is to let people know that the program exists. Again some people may take it as some badge of entitlement, however being a volunteer program, open for application to all fans, some people will blow their status out of proportion. This is by and large not the way the program presents itself. It seems you're set in your ways and that bias has let you give a blanket statement. That being said I know personally we do what we can to help devs- be it indy or in-house, not because we want something, but because it's something we love. It's the same reason you do a podcast and participate in a community.

I spoke my piece, if you want to continue to lump everyone in like that, that's your choice, but it's just some food for thought.

Slide-Zero likes this.
  6. PlaystationMVP2

PlaystationMVP2 New Member

I too wanted to register here to post my thoughts after this was brought to my attention. I don't appreciate how it is implied here that most of us just flash that title around and don't take our responsibility seriously. I can't tell you the number of MVP's who are always doing events, Streaming game's to help out Indie studios and In house studios, and taking their personal time to help out the community they are passionate about any way they can. Yourself and others in your community seem to think you know how this program works when you don't. I too like the poster above very seriously doubt that your small site has any effect on the program itself but you are welcome to believe whatever makes you feel better. I'm not trying to be rude but the comments that you made and others in your community have made towards this program are just as rude.

Slide-Zero likes this.
  7. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

Don't throw this whole community under the bus. A lot of us are just long-time gamers of all platforms and could care less. I barely know what a PS MVP is. Just a professional forum poster in my mind, and that's all they'll ever be.

CrzyQbn and IceSamurai like this.
  8. playstationmvp

playstationmvp New Member

That's fine, one of the reasons we're encouraged to let people know we are MVPs or at least advertise it is to let people know more about the program, see if they would be interested in joining, forward info for MUCH lesser known Indie devs to people, etc. It's funny you say "don't throw the whole community under the bus" when the people in the thread are guilty of literally the exact thing. That being said neither me nor the other MVP who came to post in this thread "threw the whole community under the bus", in fact I never mentioned anybody else in this community once in my post. The other poster only highlighted a handful of you, which is fair given there are multiple users in this thread doing just that. Understand the hypocrisy? If not than I'm sorry, don't know what to tell you.

edit- also "profressional forum poster", a lot of MVPs do not post a ton on the forums, but instead use their personal websites to help spread exposure or any news they come along, much like sites such as this one. It's also encouraged to use social media to help others in the community. You're view of the program is factually incorrect. Point being, you're anger and others anger here is geared towards a literally unpaid, volunteer program, in which most of us put serious work into in an attempt to contribute to the very community that we appreciate so much. Sorry that offended you? Actually nah I'm not.

Slide-Zero likes this.
  9. PlaystationMVP2

A lot of us are much more than "professional forum posters" and we do the same thing that this community tries to do including informing others of gaming related information, reviews, giving exposure to developers of all kinds, and coming up with and hosting community events. You say don't throw this whole community under the bus but yet that is what is being done to us or at least implied to be.

Slide-Zero likes this.
  10. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

You haven't changed my opinion, sorry

11. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

Really? If these were 2 actual separate people I would be amazed. I thought our community was safe from this stupidity, but I guess it can find you anywhere.

12. PlaystationMVP2

You think he and I are the same person? I think the only one showing stupidity here is you buddy.

13. Torgo

If you read it again, I say "many" etc, not "all".

14. Torgo

The fact that you know who "he" is even though "he" was never mentioned is pretty telling. Get a life.

15. Brad Custer

This.

16. brambler

brambler Well-Known Member

Haha the mvp's are upset

17. Brad Custer

Yep, gotta be careful or they'll show us what the MVP stands for. ;-)

18. Slide-Zero

Slide-Zero New Member

The ones (MvPs) that take it upon themselves to advertise their affiliation with the program are not the ones guilty of such activity. This is one of the worst strawmen posts I've ever seen. And from a staff member? I'd expect better from such a .....prestigious site.

It's abundantly clear few if anyone here understand the ins and outs of the program or what its purpose really is. (unless of course you're an X-member that feels slighted with an axe to grind)

19. Slide-Zero

Slide-Zero New Member

Believe me, we're not

20. Slide-Zero

Slide-Zero New Member

It's almost as if there are other forums out there. Weird...