Games that were rated poorly by critics that you actually like.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by Dhalamar, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Dhalamar

Dhalamar Active Member

I've been playing "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" from 2014 recently... and while it does have its problems and annoyances I'm actually diggin' it.

Sure, it isn't amazing (get it?) but it's a FAR cry from the 49 Metacritic score it has for the PS4 verion.

Right now I'm a mission or two away from beating the story, and I'd honestly (so far) give it a solid 7. When I catch it at a decent price, I'm DEFINITELY getting it for the consoles.

But what's your pick for a game critics and/or people hate that you like?

There is one thing with the PC version I'm playing that's kinda "Naughty naughty guys... c'mon... seriously?"... in the fact that the frame rate is capped at 30fps while the first game has a cap of 60.

But it's kind of an either/or situation. With my rig, when running the first game in 1080p (I've got a 24" display that I'm sitting a couple of feet away from, it honestly doesn't need to be higher than that.) at one preset below the highest settings its got? The lowest I ever see is the mid 50's when swinging around the city.

At the highest settings? Dips to the mid 40's.

But with the second game, it's cut in half and feels a little sluggish and whatnot BUT... I've got enough room to turn the graphics all the way up and never see a dip anywhere.

Twigg4075 likes this.
  2. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

Huh... from top of my head, Resident Evil 5 and 6.

They weren’t horribly reviewed 7-6 somethings out of 10, but definitely bashed by IGN dudebros.

As a matter of fact, I loved Resident Evil 5 so much that it is the first Platinum Trophy game for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twigg4075 and Finklemyre like this.
  3. JHall03

JHall03 Active Member

Had to go way back on this one - Legend of Dragoon. It had mediocre review scores but a great JRPG with a great story and some fun twitch mechanics to boot.

4. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member

Critics are fairly useless.

They tend to be prone to group think, or communal consensus - which if unfortunate because the average folks turn to these imbeciles to form an opinion.

So if the game media deems a game unworthy, it would take a hero to stand against the tide of "popular opinion" and say otherwise.

Ultimately, they are useless. At the low end, podcasters and reviewers are nerds who want access to free games to feed their addiction, and review glad-handing is common place so as to not sour the stream of free games to play - errr "review".

At the high end, it is those same halfwits who have managed to infiltrate the exclusive club of nincompoops who earn a living playing games poorly.

Case in point, various incarnations of Dynasty Warriors throughout the years. Not every entry or spinoff has been solid, but commonly it's accepted to just put out a low effort dismissive "review" of the games, because the consensus among the commercial game review industry is negative.

Fortunately we have other outlets for obtaining game reviews these days, so we need not rely on aggregate scores or input from persons who are terrible at video games.

5. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

I’ve mentioned this before. The first Watch Dogs. Most people hated on it, aside from a few smart folks here ;)

That said, I tried to play the PS3 version awhile back but it played and looked horrible. Definitely why the PS4 version was down scaled

Twigg4075 likes this.
  6. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

So, where does PS Nation fall on this spectrum? :)

7. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

To be fair, reviews, regardless of the items—be it games, movies, music and so on—do serve as an insightful “guide” to an average layman who has little or no experience in the said items.

Then the average dude spends time, goes through trial and error, and slowly acquires taste, and ultimately becomes knowledgeable enough to form opinions of his own.

Anyway, I don’t feel that reviews are “fairly useless”. Although I do certainly agree that the major outlet reviewers are limited by their mob mentality tendencies.

i.e. Super Mario Odyssey got 10/10 by most respectable reviewers, yet I don’t think I’d personally give the game that much.

I used to wait for the reviews from major outlets before I made a purchase, but this I no longer do. I look to community-based online forums to get an idea of what I’m getting into instead, because they aren’t “paid to say” what they say. Although they may be influenced by mob mentality now I think about it. Haha

8. Josh

Josh Co-Host of PS Nation Staff Member

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600
    Fight me

Twigg4075 and Chip like this.
  9. Gruel

Gruel Member

I loved the NES version of Ikari Warriors. I never played the arcade version until many years later and it was one of the first NES games I owned and my brother and I spent many hours attempting and failing to vanquish it. I knew the game had its faults, but didn't realize it was held in such disregard as some of the worst of the NES until it got the AVGN treatment a few years ago and more recently a serious beatdown from Jeremy Parish in his NES Works series.

The same can be said for Bullet Witch on 360. I remember I got it for review and played through it and gave it a 6.5. Not a great score by any means and the game definitely had faults that earned it that score, but it also had some cool badass magical attacks and a couple super-fun boss fights along with a campy b-movie charm to it. It reminded me of some low-budget indie movies I see that have a lot of heart and good concepts and plot but suffer from low production values and actors that certainly are not top tier but dammit it has heart and they're trying their damned-est!

10. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

It was definitely better than Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600. But that’s not much of a compliment. ;)

11. Josh

Josh Co-Host of PS Nation Staff Member

Almost everything was better than Raiders of the Lost Ark. That was a proper mess.

Chip and tpaullin like this.
  12. PSfan4Life22

PSfan4Life22 New Member

The Order 1886. Yes it had some problems but I felt like it was better than a lot of reviews gave it.

13. CA-FOD

CA-FOD Active Member

I spent many fun hours on the NES version of Ikari Warriors, and had no idea anyone disliked this game until I read your post. That’s funny, because I’d love to go back and try that game again, I haven’t played it since 5th grade when it came out on the NES. I’m sure it would fit into the “nostalgia” category now.

Remember Me! on PS3 got bad reviews, but I actually enjoyed that game. It was a bit eclectic, but it was fun.

14. WithSwordAndGun

WithSwordAndGun Never Grammatically Correct Staff Member

The lore and world was fascinating. Still hoping for a sequel.

DazzElle likes this.