Episode 620 - Combo Hot Bro

Discussion in 'The Podcasts' started by Josh, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Josh

Josh Co-Host of PS Nation Staff Member

[​IMG]

Listen/Download
    Full Show Notes

Dave, Josh, and Michael discuss Anthem development woes. Josh returns to some old games, MJC returns to Overwatch, and Dave is still in The Division 2. The guys discuss the MCU, Wrestlemania, and your #askpsnation questions.

46:00 Grand Theft Auto V
    46:34 Halo: Reach
    47:20 Mortal Kombat 11
    48:24 The King’s Bird
    1:02:57 Outward
    1:07:38 Apex Legends
    1:09:58 Overwatch
    1:22:45 Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
    1:26:15 MLB The Show 19

2. PSfan4Life22

PSfan4Life22 New Member

I feel like all three of you missed the whole argument around the Sekiro situation. It went far beyond some reviewer saying he wanted an easy mode. Steven, the COO from Ablegamers, also talked about it. What about people who have a disability that want to be able to play a game set in that world but aren't able to due to a disability that is out of their control?

Steven for instance says he doesn't think the game needs to be easier but it needs more options to make the game more accessible for people like him. People like him can't "get gud" to be able to play it. I guess all three of you just feel like they don't deserve to play the game then b/c the developer feels like they shouldn't include options for those people. Steven mentions he would like to see these kind of options:
    • Combat Speed (50-100%, sets game speed while enemies are aggro’d)
    • Resurrections (+1, or infinite)
    • Invisible While Sneaking
    • Infinite Posture
    • Invincible (while drinking gourd, or always)
    Also a game having options like this for people like him doesn't in anyway affect anyone else's experience with the game. You could still very much play the game the way the developer meant for it to be played. But I think that developers like From Software should take feedback like this into consideration for those who can't play games like the rest of us can.

Anyway here is the full article that Steven wrote. Maybe give it a read so you better understand the situation and see where people like him are coming from regarding games like Sekiro.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-accessiblity-equal-mode/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 3:19 AM
  3. Josh

We spoke directly to that at several points during the discussion, even came back to it as we were wrapping up.

We're all for accessibility for disabled gamers and we felt that should always be an option where possible - which I know involves extra effort, time, and resources, but honestly it should be a part of pretty much every game. I even brought up the new(ish) Microsoft controller for disabled games as a step in the right direction.

What we were arguing against was an editor/reviewer (whose name escapes me at the moment) that essentially said, "My reflexes aren't as good as they used to be and I don't have the time to put into this game to get really good at it so it needs an easy mode for me to be able to enjoy it." That's who we were talking about when we said, "Not every game needs to be made specifically for you."

4. PSfan4Life22

PSfan4Life22 New Member

Sure but I think those two things kind of go hand in hand. For instance, if they were to add options to Sekiro like Steven from AbleGamers listed then that same reviewer could use them to make the game easier for himself. They are basically the same thing.

5. Josh

For a game like Sekiro it could potentially, but other games might simply implement different control schemes or visual options. It's not necessarily a 1 to 1 thing for every game.