Episode 509 - Switched Off

Discussion in 'The Podcasts' started by Torgo, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

[​IMG]

Listen/Download
    Full Show Notes

New releases. Puyo Puyo Tetris coming to the West. Dirt Rally getting a VR upgrade. Sony closing Guerrilla Cambridge. Playing & watching. Nintendo Switch discussion. Emails. Comedian is Bill Burr

5:58 - Moto Racer 4
    7:16 - Yakuza 0
    16:37 - Puyo Puyo Tetris
    26:06 - How We Soar
    28:03 - Job Simulator
    46:32 - Rez Infinite
    55:18 - Overwatch
    58:40 - 2064: Read Only Memories
    1:05:19 - Assetto Corsa
    1:10:03 - Watch_Dogs 2
    1:36:06 - Nintendo Switch
    3:14:51 - Zool
    Comedian is Bill Burr

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  2. Episode title a possible spoiler? ;)

I can't wait to give the show a listen this weekend or sooner when I'm free! Thanks for the upload, Torgo. Much love, brother cool.

Torgo likes this.
  3. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

lol that Nintendo bravado. I'm really skeptical of the Switch.

Renegade Bastard and tpaullin like this.
  4. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

Great show. Nice long tangents. :)

5. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

I think much of Glenn and Josh's concerns for the Switch is sound. Pricing of seemingly mandatory accessories is atrocious at best. but most alarmingly, the lack of quality content at launch hasn't won me over not even a little bit.

They were banking on Zelda a little too much, and the inferior version of Skyrim was questionable.

6. gnash117

gnash117 Member

Having a portable Skyrim would be quite cool. For me the biggest appeal of the whole system is the portability.

7. Josh

Josh Co-Host of PS Nation

That was the bigggest appeal to me as well but a barren software landscape and a 3-4 hour battery life kinda turned me off to the whole thing.

It has all the makings of another disaster.

tpaullin and Renegade Bastard like this.
  8. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

I love the concept of the switch. I don't think I will drop any money on it this year. Wait and see for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jahonius88

True, but wouldn't your rather see new games, instead of an inferior port?

I'm a big fan of Borderlands and Vita, but I still haven't bought Borderlands 2 for obvious reasons - Vita isn't simply powerful enough to run Borderlands 2 on it to give it a true experience.

I was really looking forward to Switch, but the launch lineup was puzzling.

Once again, it is cool that you can play Skyrim on the go, but why Skyrim? Mass Effect Andromeda would have made more sense, or even Fallout 4.

Finklemyre and Renegade Bastard like this.
  10. I finally had a chance to listen to the podcast. Yeah, I don't have much to add to the Glenn and Josh's sentiment of the Switch. I was thinking the exact same things about the Switch before I even listened to the show.

I just can't believe how much Nintendo could fuck this up after their blunder with the Wii-U. I'm making the prediction now and mark my words in a year or two, Switch will most likely just end up being Wii-U 2 with no real 3rd party support. This hybrid console had the capability to really change the gaming landscape as we know it, yet Nintendo just fell back into their old groove of arrogance. What a shame. I really wanted to see a win from Nintendo, especially to rub it in Sony's face after Sony's blunder with the poor beloved Vita. Nope, ain't going to happen. Switch will see substantially less 3rd party support than even the Vita did / currently does without a doubt. 1st party Nintendo games are going to be that poor console's only saving grace. :(

jahonius88 likes this.
  11. Mass Effect and Fallout for days!!! <3

jahonius88 likes this.
  12. Agreed on the battery life concerns, Josh. PS Vita Slim makes a minimum of 5hrs of gaming before charge is required. Sometimes I can even squeeze out 5.5hrs on my Vita Slim if I'm more conservative with screen brightness and switching off WiFi when I don't plan on using network features.

Nintendo has to figure out how to match the PS Vita Slim with the Switch at the very least when it comes to battery life benchmark of 5 to 6 hours usage. Otherwise? Well... so much for portability of the console.

13. jahonius88

I really wanted and still want Nintendo to listen to what the most royal of their fans want, and address issues (I think they will, eventually).

The only thing I liked was the rumble joycons on a portable console, even if that means at an added inconvenience of having to charge them separately.

14. The comedic outtro of this week's podcast was great as well, @Torgo

One of the main reasons I'm not married and will never marry! Besides, isn't marriage infidelity and/or divorce / single parent households still up around 63% or so here in the United States? I remember reading that statistic online a few years back.

I believe it, too. Most of my family, friends, and co-workers I know are all part of that statistic. Sad.

15. jahonius88

Not just in the United States it seems...

Celibacy or remaining single is a global trend. Along with girl-power movements and game regulations and taxation.

16. People just can't be trusted, Jahonius. I know from first hand experience. I've been burned over and over in relationships with women my entire life. I'm just grateful to have never made the mistake to have children with or marry any of the women I've been with.

Dodged a bullet? Fuck no! I dodged the entire 30 round magazine! LOL

jahonius88 likes this.
  17. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

I've got an exwife and a couple kids I'll send you :D

jahonius88 and Renegade Bastard like this.
  18. Oh my! :eek:

I better cheese it and make a run for it now while I still have a chance! LOL

19. jahonius88

I was listening to IGN Nintendo Podcast, and some of the things they say as journalists is disgustingly unapologetic.

They constantly compare Switch with the Vita and gush on how superior Switch is to the Vita.

You know who killed Vita?

So-called game journalists at IGN.

20. Especially since Colin and Greg aren't at IGN anymore to praise the Vita and sell the masses on the handheld.

Poor Vita. :(