Episode 499 - So Very Tired

Discussion in 'The Podcasts' started by Torgo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

[​IMG]

Listen/Download
    Full show notes

New releases. Extra Life 2016 aftermath. Impressions of the PS4 Pro. Review: Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 350VR Amplified VR Gaming Wired Headset. Review: Turtle Beach Stealth 520 Wireless Headset. Comedian is Lewis Black

9:27 - Watch_Dogs 2
    36:05 - Extra Life
    41:35 - Battlezone
    48:00 - Tumblestone

2. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

Only 501 more to 1000. ;)

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  3. Torgo

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  4. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

How is the Pro in terms of noise and heat output?

Certified trophy whore.

PSN: Finklemyre

JHall03 likes this.
  5. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

I was kinda bummed to hear that there's no improvement in the back-end/ UI browsing. I don't have a PS 4 yet. I was just about to buy one when they announced the Pro, so I decided to wait. I thought I heard that they were putting in extra memory for that kind of stuff.

Certified trophy whore.

6. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

I was kinda bummed to hear that there's no improvement in the back-end/ UI browsing. I don't have a PS 4 yet. I was just about to buy one when they announced the Pro, so I decided to wait. I thought I heard that they were putting in extra memory for that kind of stuff.

Certified trophy whore.

7. andyscout

There's no need for it. PS4's backend works fine.

8. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

OK. Yeah, I always heard that the PS4's UI was really quick, and with me not having a PlayStation 4 to judge it, I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference anyways.

I just remember hearing somewhere that Mark Cerney talked about putting extra memory in for that.

Andy, do you have a Pro?

Certified trophy whore.

9. andyscout

Nope, didn't get a pro. I might try to get one with my Sony Rewards points if I can but I'm not too keen on spending $400 on an incremental upgrade.

10. PS4 Pro is a good console, but I don't feel comfortable fully recommending it to anyone. I think the PS4 Slim is a much better buy at $300 USD! Especially if you don't even have a 4K or HDR supported television and you are considering a PS4 Pro. My advice? Get a PS4 Slim and swap out that 500GB internal HDD to a 2TB HDD! You'll be set for the rest of this console generation. ;)

Finklemyre likes this.
  11. andyscout

Really? I'd recommend new comers get a Pro. I mean, why not future proof yourself? I don't think current owners really need to upgrade but for the relatively small difference between the two, I think the Pro is a better buy than the slim. Also RIP optical port. ;)

12. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

My friend showed me a video comparing captures from Rise of the Tomb Raider. Wow! Even from the crappy internet video, the game running on a Pro in 1080p with a high frame rate, the game looked so much better. They had 4 screen captures running side by side: Standard, 1080p with a higher frame rate, 1080p with enhanced visuals, and 4K.

I can totally see where Glenn was talking about how 4K wasn't really all that. The game looked fantastic with the enhanced visuals from the Pro. It looked as good if not better than the 4K. The game looked great with a higher frame rate also.

That's what I wanted to see!

Certified trophy whore.

13. Torgo

The biggest issue TODAY is that not many games that were patched get benefits in 1080p, but that will not be the case even as soon as the end of this year.

And I agree with Andy, if you don't have a PS4 and are getting your 1st one, DEFINITELY get the Pro. You're spending your money, so might as well get the best one available.

Finklemyre likes this.
  14. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

Glenn, you have the Pro. I listened to your review on the podcast. How is the Pro in comparison to the other models in terms of heat output and noise?

Certified trophy whore.

15. Torgo

It's about the same as the OG PS4. The Slim is the one that runs cooler and quieter. Must be the lack of an optical port (Digital Foundry ran full tests.)

JHall03 and Finklemyre like this.
  16. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

I didn't notice the heat output on my old PS4 or my new Pro so I'm guessing it's just fine. ;) As far as noise goes, I have definitely noticed a difference. My old PS4 was noisy even with me cleaning it regularly (taking off the cover and vacuuming, etc. the dust from inside), but the new Pro is so quiet I wouldn't even know it's on without looking at the light bar across the front.

Like I've mentioned before and others have said. If you're getting into the PS4 generation and don't have a console yet then definitely get the Pro. I traded in my old system and a couple games and got my new Pro for only $176.

Finklemyre likes this.
  17. Finklemyre

Finklemyre Member

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

Certified trophy whore.

18. JHall03

JHall03 Well-Known Member

Just curious how much trade-in value you got for your PS4

19. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, but when I traded it in on release day I got $150 towards my new PS4 Pro. It actually went up because at Gamestop they were originally only offering $135 a couple weeks before the release.