E3 2017: Day 4

Discussion in 'The Podcasts' started by Torgo, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Torgo

Torgo Grand Poobah Staff Member

2. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

YEAH BOI !!!!

3. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

Two quick comments,
    One: Thank you for great insight on my favorite genre, racing games! Project Cars 2 looks amazing. As does GT Sport. WRC7 I'll probably wait for a sale but the other two are already preordered on Amazon.

Two: Robert Schimmel is my favorite comedian. Sad he's not with us anymore.

Nice job guys all week!

Torgo likes this.
  4. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

I truly hope everyone makes the choice to watch all the E3 podcasts. You're missing out on a lot if you only listen to them. :)

tpaullin likes this.
  5. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

The other day I was getting inpatient waiting for the audio version of Day 4 to be released so I started checking out the video and it was comedy gold. That is where I got the "Yeah Boi!!!" thing from. Josh was awesome and that didn't make the audio version nor would it be the same.

And after hearing the audio podcast the other day of Day 2 I had to check out some of the video to watch the part where Josh got down on one knee in front of Emrah. (Also comedy gold) Who knew Josh was so hilarious "behind the scenes"? LOL

6. Brad Custer

To hear Glenn talk I'm sure he has a whole team of comedy writers to go along with the staff that maintains his appearance. ;)

andyscout and Carl_S like this.
  7. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

His personal valets? :D:D:D

Torgo and Brad Custer like this.
  8. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

Pls don't.

tpaullin and Carl_S like this.
  9. I know you guys mentioned that a lot of game companies are in California. But from all the complaints about crowd size, the LA convention center is starting to be too small for E3, especially when you got companies like EA locating to a different part of the city. I mentioned before that Las Vegas and Orlando would be cheaper, 210,000 sq ft isn't even considered large floor space, and the E3 crowd wouldn't make both cities sweat at all. Star Wars Celebration had a larger crowd and there was still a lot of space not used and that's from one building in Orlando.

10. Brad Custer

I noticed how you managed to work your way to one of the "big chairs" for the final podcast. Nicely done. ;)

11. Torgo

I think that the venue size is fine, they just need to re-think layouts in both halls, but even more, they need to re-think how they handle entry and crowd flow.

With that many more people, what was really lost is that sense of discovery from the years past. I avoided the floor at all costs, but with that crowd, it didn't dissipate on Thursday like every year prior, so you couldn't just "walk-up" to a game and start playing. There were no indie/smaller titles hidden away in some corner of the Sony booth etc, so I never felt that i would "find" a classic like Shatter, Rey's The Dead, Rocket League or something like that, and to me that's a huge loss.

I'll keep saying it, E3 isn't tooled to be a public show, and with the existence of cons like PAX, it's not necessary. At this point, we may change our strategy and make PSX our main focus for coverage on this scale. I think that our team kicked a lot of ass this year, and luckily most of our appointments weren't on the show floor. I just don't know if the return on the huge investment is worth it compared to what we can do at an event like PSX, and that's what I've been dwelling on since we all got back home.

12. Brad Custer

Yeah, I can remember the last E3 I went which to was in 2002 as part of media . It was also opened to the public, but I'm not sure if was on the scale of this year's crowd. I just remember seeing most of them stuck in lines waiting as we had free reign to walk wherever. ;) I do think with these other venues that they don't need all trade shows to be open to the public. I still think the best way to see it as a consumer is from your home consuming all the great content provided to us. :)

13. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

Not nearly as comfortable as I would have thought.

Looking at the numbers on Wikipedia they don't have 2002 but the attendance in 2001 was only slightly lower than it was this year.

14. Torgo

I believe that's the year it was spread all over Santa Monica though

15. Carl_S

Carl_S Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I don't have a yellow badge ... LOL

16. Brad Custer

They didn't have to be comfortable just looked like the seats of power. ;)

Hmm. Maybe it was 2001 then the last time I attended. Curse this old brain. I do know it wasn't spread all over and it was right across from the Staples Center. Sadly, if I dug long enough through a few of my boxes in the closest I probably still have my media badges in there somewhere.

17. Does anyone listen to Easy Allies, hae you guys heard about the retailers pretty much finishing inventory deals before E3 starts? We do our calculations in October for the following year. EasyA says PSX is in pole position due to contracts being signed in Jan close to or after CES.

18. If I'm still in the states during December I might try and go to PSX 2017 ^_^. Unfortunately I've been working on that week somewhere in the states or across the ocean.