Companion Apps... Do you use them & what are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by CNPalmer, Apr 27, 2016.

1. CNPalmer

CNPalmer Moderator Staff Member

So I wrote an editorial about all the companion apps I had used or experienced that I had sitting on my phone for months & months.

I was wondering what everyone else thought about them and if you had a certain go-to app for your favorite game that I and the rest of the community may not know about.

I for one wish The Division had an app. The depth of the game and the inventory & item management seems like an easy win given that Ubisoft has done companion apps a lot previously. I haven o idea why this game didn't get one too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

Well, I think they did a great job with the Destiny app. It was actually useful.

I had Battlelog (Battlefield comp app), and it was just wasting my storage space.

Blizzard's WoW app was amazing, since it actually gave you ways to interact (auction house!) with the game, as well as in-game chat.

3. Tim

Tim Active Member

Not really. I have the Steam app but I had to use it for security authorization for Steam to allow me to place items up for sale immediately. I also have tried the PS and Xbox Glass app but don't see the benefits to them. There really isn't a game specific app that I've really utilized.

4. tpaullin

tpaullin Well-Known Member

Drive club has a decent app. Easy to keep track of challenges/standings.

5. CNPalmer

I recently saw the DriveClub app but I haven't played the game yet. I'll definitely try it out when I do.

6. makaiookami

makaiookami Active Member

I stopped playing knack because i got the Knack one.

Then I never got around to going back into knack to play with all the stuff I unlocked.

Used the Destiny one.

7. CNPalmer

Also, if anyone is REALLY into using their phone and these types of applications, Nyko made a Smart Clip to attach to your DS4 and hold your phone in place for that 2nd screen experience.

8. JHall03

JHall03 Active Member

I like them because they add excitement to new games I buy. Being able to engage myself with the game when I'm not playing it keeps me more interested in it.

I like the Fallout 4 app mainly because I can keep an eye on the map without having to use my in-game Pip-Boy

9. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

I use the Destiny app and the recent update to it has made it so valuable when you need to switch gear, etc. without going back to the tower or signing off one character to another just to do so. I've also used the app for Fallout 4 which seems really good and the one from GTA V, but that didn't seem as important to in game use.

10. makaiookami

With how often my controller falls on the floor that sounds like a very expensive clip to me.

11. Embelievable

Embelievable Moderator Staff Member

I remember downloading and using the companion app for MGSV. It was cool and everything...for about 5 minutes. I quickly realized that it didn't really add anything to my experience.

The apps for AC4 Black Flag and Unity were great because they allowed you get resources on the go and add them to your game. I would spend time on my break at work sending out my fleets to get the booty and I'd have so much dough when I'd get back to my PS4.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

12. Brad Custer

Brad Custer Well-Known Member

Those were fun to play with. I think they have something similar to that for Dying Light, but I've never tried that one.

13. jahonius88

jahonius88 Well-Known Member

I wish more games did that. There were apps like that for some Korean mmos - what you played on the mobile game actually mattered.

14. makaiookami

They are adding a Final Fantasy XIV companion app. I'll be able to manage prices, talk to my Free Company and send my retainers out without being logged in.

15. WithSwordAndGun

WithSwordAndGun Never Grammatically Correct Staff Member

The uncharted game/app is not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. makaiookami

Which app for which game?

17. WithSwordAndGun

WithSwordAndGun Never Grammatically Correct Staff Member

It's a game for the new game. It unlocks some multiplayer skins or something. It reminds me of Laura craft go but not quite as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk