Appreciating the artistry of Daisuke Ishiwatari and Arc System Works.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussions' started by The_Marquis, Jan 11, 2019.

1. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member

It's a rarity for me. Polygon based games tend to be soulless (modern incarnations of Street Fighter) more often than not , but once in a blue moon - an artist still employed at a company (Daisuke Ishiwatari), employs other artists (Team Red), to create - a work of visual art (Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-).

Here are some essential videos breaking down the artistry behind Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- and Revelator, and the subsequent Dragonball FighterZ.

I really hope Arc System Works and Ishiwatari can set the tone for Japanese fighting game development going forward. It's no secret the artists who made Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter Alpha, and Street Fighter 3 series games have long since left Capcom. Capcom will contract old favorites for promotional art, or costume design sketches; but the artists that made Capcom of the 90's great have left the building; and the artistry of that era left with them.

This is the difference between a game spearheaded by a visual artist (Ishiwatari), and a game where the concept art is just a resource for unrelated 3D modelers.

2. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

I met him (and Mori, the main sound guy) at a con. Super cool guys. They signed my fight stick but sadly the signatures got partially rubbed off when I was moving.

3. The_Marquis

The_Marquis Active Member