2015 Golden Minecarts: state your case!

Discussion in 'Golden Minecart Awards 2015' started by Dave, Jan 12, 2016.

1. andyscout

andyscout PSN: andyscout Staff Member

Both the games I mentioned run on Vita, at least in NA.

2. makaiookami

makaiookami Active Member

I personally am putting Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars as a Write In for PS3 sports game cause to me the category is kinda a throw away anyway, and if/when Rocket League wins it has potential comedy for them to mention that Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars won in the sports, and then they have to explain why they won, and why it got thrown out anyway. XD

3. jpayant70

jpayant70 Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing Josh won't even count those votes as the game didn't release in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. makaiookami

You know they are going to mention it anyway though if a write in from half a decade makes it in. That's what makes it hilarious, and a salient point on how the PS3 sports games have pretty much dried up, died, and aren't relevant anymore.

5. Jcutuli

Jcutuli Member

I also wrote Until Dawn for my most unique experience. Great game.

6. JHall03

JHall03 Active Member

Best remaster = Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin.

7. makaiookami

I'm not sure that counts as a remaster though. It's more of an enhanced port.

8. JHall03

JHall03 Active Member

If you expect me to debate you on this, you're mistaken

9. makaiookami

I just don't know how a game is "Remastered" when they released the DLC on the PS3 version at the same time they released the PS4 version with that DLC.

Like how would that be different from Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls on PS4, I'm just asking for clarifications so I can keep that in mind on what to rally behind next year. I'm looking for a consistent definition of what remaster stands for because The Last of Us Remastered kinda blurred things logistically.

10. andyscout

The PS4 version of DaS2 had some things that didn't get added to the original game, like the increased multiplayer cap and the new enemy placements. If I recall.

Regardless, that category is pretty loose. It also says HD remake and the PS4 port had some slight graphics updates as well.

11. Josh

Josh Co-Host of PS Nation

No they won't :p

12. Josh

Actually reading your post again I needed to comment on your last point. I'd say they're still pretty relevant to everyone who still owns a PS3 and hasn't gotten a PS4 yet which is currently a pretty huge number.

The PS4 has sold around 36 million at this point. Sony has said that a large percentage of sales have been to people who didn't own a PS3. Assume it's as low as a quarter of the sales, so about 9 Million. That leaves around 27 million people with a PS4 who previously owned a PS3.

PS3 lifetime sales to date are around 85 million. Take away the roughly 27 million people who jumped to the PS4 and potentially don't care about PS3 games in general anymore and you're still left with around 58 million people who haven't made the switch yet. 58 million for whom sports games, and really any games for that matter, on the PS3 are still particularly relevant.

Just sayin'

13. makaiookami

Is that really relevant to the PS Nation audience though?

I called it a throw away category because there's nothing new in there as far as I could tell. Just the same old franchises from the PS2 era, and MLB the Show which might have just been a roster update, unless I'm just thinking of the PS Vita version.

The PS3 versions are stagnating in that category, so to me it's a throw away category. You should be arguing about the quality of the games, not arguing that I'm dismissing 50 million PS3 owners.

14. Josh

I just think we all get caught up in our own little worlds and forget about everyone else. And we've all done it at one time or another with one argument or another.

It's like when people talk about the 100% digital download consoles that are coming. It's usually people that have great broadband and are completely unaware of the rest of the country/world where a) it's not available, b) the speed sucks, or c) they have tight data caps.

A lot of our community is on the PS4, absolutely. How many? Who knows? There's no way any of us can know for sure either way.
    But just going by the votes cast:
    - Last year the amount of PS3/PS4 votes were all within the same range
    - This year the PS4 has pulled ahead, but just slightly
    - And we still got more votes in every category than we got last year.

Maybe Andy should do one of his scientific/unscientific Twitter polls (if he hasn't already and I missed it) to see who still (or only) uses the PS3.

Then again, that'll just show us an answer for - how many people who are on Twitter - who also follow @PSNation - who also actually see the tweet - who even bother to respond.

But at least whichever one of us is supported by the results can hail them as proof that we are glorious, and bold, and righteous in our proclamations ;-)

15. andyscout

Our Twitter crew does seem to err towards the more connected and with-the-times crowd, based on some of the past polls.

16. makaiookami

To be fair I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the PS3. I'm just saying that the category of PS3 sports, seems like it is basically the same handful of games with a new year tacked on, and it's a social commentary on the lack of a Playstation All Stars Basketball Royale, or a Little Big Minigolf.

I mean were this years sports games any good? That's the crux of my argument, is just that if people think that these games are really game of the year worthy, fine vote for them, but if other people feel like the PS3 is getting left behind, it would be a brilliant prank to have "Turd Sandwhich" win the vote. (metaphorically)

17. Josh

I get that, but I will say (without giving anything away) that the Best Sports Game (PS3) was not the category that received the least votes, so make of that what you will....

18. andyscout

Probably PS3 platformer, family friendly, or one of the vita ones.

19. makaiookami

How many votes separate it from the least voted for category? Cause if it was just like 3-5 that might be my fault. XD